Resolving UEFI/BIOS error caused by new ADK (v. 2004) issue
Due to code changes in Windows ADK 10 v2004, the MDT utility (Microsoft.BDD.Utility.dll) that identifies BIOS or UEFI firmware types no longer works correctly, and identifies BIOS-based machines as UEFI-based machines.
Deployments will fail with the following error:
FAILURE (5616): 15299: Verify BCDBootEx
Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005
Failed to save environment to (80070057)
The following update to resolve this problem is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
After you’ve downloaded and extracted the contents of the self-extracting compressed file, MDT_KB4564442.exe, follow these steps to replace the original files on any affected computers with the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit installed:
- Close the Deployment Workbench.
- Back up the existing x86 and x64 versions of the Microsoft.BDD.Utility.dll file in the following locations.
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Distribution\Tools\x86\
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Distribution\Tools\x64\
- Copy the new files extracted from MDT_KB4564442.exe over the old versions.
- Repeat the file replacement in the Specops DeploymenRepository folder (e.g. E:\Specops\Deploy\DeploymentRepository\Tools\x86
- Open the Deployment Workbench, right click on the Deployment Share (the Specops DeploymentRepository) and choose the Update Deployment Share option, and make sure you “completely regenerate the boot images”.
- Open Specops Deploy OS, go to Servers and right-click on the Image Server and Publish the Deployment Repository.