Periodic Scanning is scheduled to be performed once a day by the selected domain controller. It checks license information, as well as flags accounts for some major policy events, such as password expiration and breached password protection.
The schedule section shows when periodic scanning is set to run every day. Note that the time indicated is the local time zone of the selected domain controller.
Editing the Periodic scan domain controller and time
- In the Periodic scan section, click the Edit button.
- Click the Select Domain Controller button in the Selected domain controller section.
- Using the radio button, select either:
- Select PDC Emulator
- Select from writable Domain Controllers
- If Select from writable Domain Controllers was selected, Select your preferred domain controller in the list.
- Click OK.
- In the Selected time section, select at which time the periodic scan should run.
The default time for periodic scan is set to 12:05 AM.
- Click OK.
Periodic Scanning in progress
This section indicates whether or not a periodic scan is currently in progress. When a periodic scan is in progress, it can be stopped by clicking the Abort button.
Whenever a periodic scan is running, a progress bar will be visible indicating how much of the scan has been performed.
Last Periodic Scan Result
The results of the last periodic scan performed can be viewed here.
This section shows when and on which domain the periodic scan was performed. It also lists the number of accounts processed and whether this was a scheduled or a manual scan.
License Validation Job
Shows the total number of user accounts and how many of those are affected by a Specops Password Policy GPO.
Password Expiration Job
This section shows the number of accounts flagged to require changing their passwords, as well as the notifications associated with those password expiration events.
Breached Password Protection Express Job
This sections lists information regarding accounts that are affected by Breached Password Protection Express.
Breached Password Protection Complete Job
This sections lists information regarding accounts that are affected by Breached Password Protection Complete.
Initiating a manual periodic scan
A manual periodic scan cannot be initiated if a (scheduled) periodic scan is already in progress. In order to start a manual periodic scan in such cases, stop the scan in progress first.
- Click the Start New button.
- In the Compromised Password Scanning window, choose which jobs you want the scan to perform. The following jobs can be selected:
- License Validation Job
- Password Expiration Job
- Breached Password Protection Express Job
- Breached Password Protection Complete Job
At least one job needs to be selected in order to start the scan.
- Click the Start scanning button.
- Click Close.
The scan will continue even when you close this window.