Specops Authentication Client Release Notes
The Specops Authentication Client (formerly known as the Specops uReset Client and the Specops Password Client) enhances functionality for Specops Password Policy, Specops Password Reset, and Specops uReset. The Client will only display features relevant to the implemented product.
Current Release: 7.15.21155.1
- Users affected by fine-grained password policy could get incorrect rules presented at password change.
Released June 08, 2021
- New “Dynamic Feedback UI” to provide real time feedback while user changes in Windows from “CTRL-ALT-DEL -> Change Password”.
- Default login tile could in some scenarios become another than the normal Windows login credential provider.
- Enrollment Reminder notification at intervals could fail.
- Clicking “Enroll” from start menu could result in an access denied message.
- If using only phrases, feedback could be misleading after rejected password change.
- Improved support in environments locked down with AppLocker.
- The “Dynamic Feedback UI” feature requires Windows 10, minimum .Net 4.6.2. Other platforms will fall back to current previous behaviour with feedback after rejected changes.
Released May 27, 2021
- If “GUID of credential provider to wrap” was configured in ADMX template in a policy affecting a computer, but the specified provider wasn’t installed on that computer, no reset link was displayed.
Released December 08, 2020
- Improved compatibility with McAfee endpoint encryption provider.
- If another credential provider without display name was installed, user could be prevented from logging in.
- RDP session could get duplicate login prompts, even though NLA was enabled.
- Description for the administrative template setting “Update credential cache after password reset” was misleading.
- Moved custom message, if defined, to be above rules/phrases.
Released October 23, 2020
Current Release: 7.13.19325.1
- Duplicate logon tiles could incorrectly appear if used together with McAfee Drive Encryption.
Released November 28, 2019
- Secured browser was closed after 2 minutes of user inactivity on Windows 10, if ctrl-alt-del at logon was enforced.
- Windows 7: at first logon, the “Other user” tile could appear, requiring the user to click to get to username/password login tile.
Released September 19, 2019
- Support for length-based password aging. Specops Password Policy customers who have enabled length-based password will receive reminders when their passwords are approaching expiration.
- Support for Breached Password Protection Express. Support for a new Breached Password Protection Express rule in Specops Password Policy has been added to the Specops Authentication Client (when used with Specops uReset version 8.4 and later). Customers who have both Specops Password Policy and Specops uReset will need the latest version of the Gatekeeper (version 8.4 and later) to display the Breached Password Protection Express requirement to users during a password change.
Released May 15, 2019
- Parameters passed to the web page when clicking the start menu shortcuts for enroll, change or reset, were sometimes incorrect. This caused the web page to display incorrectly.
- The Password Reset tile was not displaying, even though it had been configured to.
- Various improvements to multi-domain support.
- Renamed the ADMX templates to Specops Authentication Client.
Released November 7, 2018
- Support for enrollment reminders in Specops Authentication for uReset.
- Improved support for multiple AD domains in Specops uReset.
- Support for Specops uReset installations using overridden settings container.
Released August 15, 2018
- Renamed the Specops uReset Client to Specops Authentication Client.
- If the Part of the new password setting in Specops Password Policy results in a failed password change attempt, the user will be displayed the disallowed word in the password dictionary. For example, if the custom dictionary contains the word “Password” and a user attempts a password change to “MyNewPasswordIsGood”, the user will receive a message that the word “Password” cannot appear in their password.
- Added support for the leetspeak rule in Specops Password Policy (version 6.8 and later).
- Added option to disable the Password Reset link from the Windows Logon screen by setting the ADMX template setting “Show the Password Reset link” to Disabled.
- User inactivity (user did not use mouse or keyboard) caused Windows to time out the selected logon tile causing the Secured Browser to close.
Released April 19, 2018
- In some scenarios, a “server busy” dialog could appear in the Secured Browser, affecting operating systems Windows 10 1607 and newer.
Released September 15, 2017
- Security updates related to the Secured Browser.
Released September 11, 2017
- The ADMX setting (“Reset Password web page URL from Internet”) did not correctly handle the offline URL when a password reset was initiated without a connection to a domain controller in the organization’s intranet.
- Uninstalling the uReset client did not remove the start menu links (Enroll/Reset/Change) if a non-administrative user initiated the uninstallation.
- The “Reset Password” start menu link resulted in an error if accessed by a user from a different domain than the computer’s domain.
- The Windows credentials cache did not update following a password reset from uReset.
- Enabled support for uReset secured browser authentication for Google accounts using 2-factor authentication.
- Removed the need for a reboot following uninstallation initiated by non-administrative user.
- Enabled the password reveal icon from the Windows logon screen on Windows 8 and newer operating systems.
- An error message guiding users to the Windows logon screen (by pressing ctrl-alt-del) if the reset/change start menu links are accessed when the user is not connected to the intranet.
Released February 7, 2017
- In some scenarios, the full screen uncloseable enrollment browser did not display the close button after a successful enrollment.
Released November 10, 2016
- When only using Specops Password Policy, the “Password about to expire” notification did not display when reminders were configured, and the user’s password was about to expire.
Released September 22, 2016
- Improved support on Windows 8, and 10 computers with McAfee Endpoint Protection.
- The credential provider caused duplicate logon tiles if McAfee Endpoint Protection was installed.
- The user could not toggle between password rules and passphrases if the Reset Password link was running on secured browser.
- If the ADMX setting “Create start menu shortcuts to password enroll/change/reset” was disabled after the client was rolled out, the shortcuts were not removed.
Released May 19, 2016