The Release Notes provide a summary of new features and changes since the last release. The Release Notes can help you evaluate whether an upgrade is necessary.
Current Release: 8.18.20353.1
- Domain verification is now enabled by default for new installations.
Released January 13, 2021
- Okta Verify: To prevent API tokens from going stale if not used for 30 days, these will now be refreshed by Specops Authentication after 20 days.
- Added support for traditional Chinese as a user interface language.
- Added support for PingID as an identity service.
- Changing/Resetting password could fail for users with short sAMAccountName (1 or 2 characters).
- Gatekeeper: Changed event id 239, for rejected password resets, to informational level instead of warning.
- From Internet Explorer, some identity services could fail unexpectedly due to too many redirects.
- Secure Service Desk: Added device selection for Duo identity service.
- Secure Service Desk: Loading user could fail if mobile attribute override was set to displayName or other commonly used attribute.
- Added domain name to unenrolled users report.
Released November 17, 2020
- Gatekeeper: Added additional eventlogging around user counting.
- After unlocking account and getting signed out, customizations were not shown.
Released November 04, 2020
- Gatekeeper: password resets could be handled incorrectly for users affected by password policy containing minimum password age setting, depending on time zone.
- Changing user interface language in Secure Service Desk did not always work.
- After a user had unlocked their account, if locked out from Active Directory, the user was able to unlock again without having to re-authenticate.
Released October 23, 2020
- Duo identity service now supports Auth API. This gives a better and more integrated user experience. Existing Duo configuration must be upgraded to bring this to end users.
- Quick verification has been enabled in Secure Service Desk for the Duo identity service. This requires configuring the Duo identity service to use Auth API.
Released September 30, 2020
- After authenticating with Fingerprint app on iOS, the Fingerprint app could fail to return to the originating browser.
- Authentication with Windows Identity could get stuck with a spinning wheel, never completing.
- Better indication if a user account in Active Directory has a malformed userPrincipalName.
- Users whose password had expired in Active Directory, could sometimes not change the password without doing a reset.
- User counting could be misleading in cases with multiple Active Directory domains.
- PowerShell modules were not signed.
Released September 08, 2020
- Bug fixes
Released August 06, 2020
- Bug fixes
Released August 06, 2020
- Fixed an issue where notifications for insufficient enrollment sometimes took longer to send or failed.
Released July 29, 2020
- Fixed an issue where displaying the text messages report took you to an error page.
Released July 21, 2020
- Added new cmdlet Clear-SAGatekeeperCache to clear Gatekeeper cache, to conform with what already is supported from admin tools.
- Added lockout settings for Mobile Code, Email and Personal Email identity services.
- Added notifications on admin web pages to indicate if there is a new Gatekeeper version available.
- Length of identity verification session is now configurable and displayed to Service Desk agent.
- Added configurable MFA policy for password change.
- Added option to customize name of Windows Identity id service.
- Added Service Desk setting for enforcing user to change password at next logon after reset, either mandatory or selected by Service Desk agent.
- Browser’s password manager could unexpectedly try to save password.
- Certain firewalls could drop connections while processing requests from browser to Specops Authentication.
- Improved usability of customization UI with display name instead of identifiers.
- Made cmdlets install with Admin tools instead of the Gatekeeper.
- Enterprise admins are now granted permissions to users’ sub-object. This does not apply to already existing sub-objects.
Released July 21, 2020
- Gatekeeper Admin – Added PowerShell cmdlet Update-SpecopsAuthenticationUrls to update ‘useful links’ URLs from cloud to AD settings container.
- Gatekeeper Admin – added PowerShell cmdlet New Update-SpecopsAuthenticationGatekeeperAdminTools to install Gatekeeper admin tool MSI.
- Added option for Service Desk agent to reset a user’s password to a generated password, without being able to see the generated password.
- Enabled Quick Verification (email) for identity verification in Service Desk.
- Enabled customization of text messages from mobile code id service.
- Added missing translations for some languages.
- Gatekeeper – After upgrading Gatekeeper, tabs in the admin tool were not always updated.
- Changed Email ID services to use time-based one-time password to improve usability and security.
- Fingerprint app on iOS could fail to resume correct web page after authenticating.
- Improved filtering for Service Desk statistics.
- Added support for Okta preview and EMEA domains.
- Added missing translations for Q&A page.
- If all default Q&A questions had been removed, it was not possible to add additional languages.
- Additional information about user displayed when opened in Service Desk.
- Added monitoring logging for user locked out of an Identity Service that a user can get locked out of (Mobile Code, Secret Questions, Email Id Services)
Released May 19, 2020
- Added a Trusted Network Location identity service which can be used to increase the authentication weight for requests from selected IP addresses.
- Added support for restricting user enrollment only from trusted network locations.
- Added support for not presenting Captcha for users connecting from trusted network locations.
- Added Email identity service for verification with email stored in Active Directory.
- Added Quick Verification identity service for verification using personal email address.
- • Added Service Desk (formerly User Management) with user identification enforcement, and the ability to unlock user’s computers when locked with Bitlocker or Symantec Encryption.
Released April 29, 2020
- Simplified enrollment process for end users.
- Improved usability for mobile code identity service.
- Added option to configure security level for user enrollment process to fit different organizations’ needs.
Released April 22, 2020
- Updated requirement for Gatekeeper and Gatekeeper admin tools to .Net Framework 4.7.2.
- Added cmdlet to list users lacking enrollment for a specific id service (Get-SAUnenrolledUsers)
- Blocking regions could fail if the region selected didn’t have a locale in the operating system where Gatekeeper admin tool was running
- Start page for a user incorrectly showed the Change password button, even if the change password feature was disabled
- Improved error message from enrollment cmdlet if the user was outside scope
- Fixed an issue where user data wasn’t always removed when removing a user’s enrollment
Released March 10, 2020
- New start page for users, listing actions a user can take.
- User management could display inaccurate value for “Time until password must be changed.”
- Added fallback language for customized text.
- User management pages are hosted on their own URL. Links from the admin tool will go there. Saved bookmarks will redirect to the new URL.
- Gatekeeper could unexpectedly switch between domain controllers, causing replication issues resulting in end user getting a “That took a bit too long” error message.
- If Gatekeeper fails to reset a user’s password, event log message has been set to warning level (previously information level).
- Gatekeeper Admin Tool: Improved error messages if migrating users from uReset 7.x fails.
Released January 23, 2020
- Added a Geoblocking feature that allows you to filter incoming requests based on geographical location (see Geoblocking for more information).
- Improved error messaging in case of Gatekeeper activation failure.
Released October 16, 2019
- Added option to configure default country code for Mobile verification enrollment
- Clarified allowed username formats when user is asked to enter username
- User Management
- Improved performance of user details page
- Added information about key recovery events to user details page
- Password start page
- Will now load color and logo customizations
- New unlock button if user only needs to unlock account
- Landing page improvements
- Only end user links to the left
- Added link to Key Recovery
- Fixed issues with Gatekeeper failing to activate due to proxy configuration and improved troubleshooting for Gatekeeper connectivity
- Fixed issues with saving uReset notifications
Released September 18, 2019
- Added three new languages: Polish, Korean and Czech
- Added support for migrating a single user from uReset 7 in addition to the batch version
- Fixed bug where migration from uReset 7 failed in some scenarios
- Fixed issue with not being able to select and copy text on the customization page
- Added missing Email column to exported not enrolled users report
- General stability imporvements
Released August 27, 2019
- Added support for customization on landing pages.
- Added various missing information in logs for Specops Key Recovery.
- Fixed bug in Specops Authentication PowerShell CmdLets when domain name was shorter than 3 characters.
- When used with Specops Password Policy, fixed issue with unsatisfied password dictionary rule displaying incorrect information message.
Released July 25, 2019
- Added Specops Key Recovery for BitLocker.
- Fingerprint usability improvements when authenticating on a mobile device.
- Various fixes for multiple AD domain environments.
- Fixed bug when exporting CSV of not enrolled users report.
Released June 19, 2019
- Updates to customization functionality in Specops Authentication Web. These customization improvements make it easier to change the look and feel of the Specops Authentication end-user interface, including colors, text, and logos. For more information, see here.
- Mobile Bank ID is enabled for customers using the EU data center from 8.5 onwards.
Released May 20, 2019
- Various improvements for customers using the uReset feature in Active Directory environments with multiple domains.
Released May 8, 2019
- Support for Specops Key Recovery: This is a self-service solution for unlocking encrypted computers. If a user is locked out at the pre-boot screen, they can use Specops Key Recovery to unlock the computer, without needing to call their organization’s helpdesk. For more information, click here.
Note: To use Specops Key Recovery, you must have a Specops Key Recovery license.
Released April 16, 2019