The information below will help you upgrade to the latest version of Specops Deploy / App. Contact your account representative for a new license key before getting started.
Supported upgrade environments
You can upgrade to the most recent version of Specops Deploy / App from Specops Deploy / App 4.9 or later. It is strongly recommended that you upgrade all components of Specops Deploy / App.
Planning an upgrade
Before upgrading, you should:
- Locate, and read the Specops Deploy / App product documentation.
- Contact your account representative for a new license key.
- Verify that the account being used to run the Setup Assistant has permissions to create Child Objects in Active Directory.
To upgrade to the latest version, your organization’s environment must meet the following system requirements:
|Specops Deploy Server||- Windows Server 2008 or later|
Note: This can be an existing server or a dedicated server. This server does not have to be a physical server. It can be a virtual server.
Windows 7, 8, and 10 are supported for testing purposes only. In a live installation a true server operating system must be used.
- SQL Server 2008 or later
|Administration Tools||- Active Directory and Users and Computers snap-in|
- Group Policy Management Console (GPMC)
|Specops Deploy Client Side Extension||- Windows 7 or later|
- .NET Framework 2.0 or later
Upgrading Specops Deploy App
The Setup Assistant will help you upgrade the following components for Specops Deploy / App:
- Specops Deploy Server
- Administration Tools
- Specops Deploy Client Side Extension
- Download the Setup Assistant.
- Save and Run the Setup Assistant locally to the machine hosting your Specops Deploy Server Service.
Note: By default the file is extracted to C:tempSpecopsDeploy_Setup_[VersionNumber]
- Double click SetupAssistant.exe to launch the Setup Assistant.
- To begin, click Start Installation in the Specops Setup Assistant dialog box.
Upgrading the Specops Deploy Server will upgrade the Specops Deploy Database and the Specops Deploy app service on the local computer.
- In the main menu, select Specops Deploy Server Setup.
- Verify that you have fulfilled the prerequisites. If you do not meet the pre-requisites you may need to do the following:
- Verify that you are running a valid operating system.
- Verify that the account being used to run the Setup Assistant has local administrative permissions.
- Click Select User….
- Enter the Username and Password of the user account the service will run as, and click OK.
Note: To view the currently used service account/password, open bootstrap.ini in control folder in deployment repository. All operations performed by the Specops Deploy Server component will be performed in the context of the user account selected here.
- Click Select database… to select the SQL Server to install the database on.
- Identify the server(s) you want to install the database on, and click OK.
- Click Install.
Upgrading the Administration Tools will upgrade the GPMC snap-in, the Control Center, and the Configuration Tool. You can use the GPMC snap-in and the Control Center to create software deployment settings in Group Policy Objects. You can use the Configuration Tool to add license information, and clean the database.
- In the main menu, select Administration tools.
- Click Install.
- In the Installation succeeded dialog box, click OK.
You can automatically configure an existing Group Policy Object with Software Installation settings to deploy the Client in your domain.
- In the main menu, select Deploy Specops Deploy Client Side Extension.
- Verify that you have fulfilled the prerequisites. If you do not meet the pre-requisites you may need to verify that the account being used to run the Setup Assistant has Active Directory permissions.
- To select the Group Policy Object that will be used to deploy the client, click Select GPO. You will be given the following options:
Option Step Create New GPO 1. Click Create New GPO.
2. Enter a new Group Policy Object.
3. Select he location you want to link the Group Policy Object to.
4. Click OK.
Select an existing GPO 1. Select an existing GPO from the list.
2. Select a link for the chosen GPO, and click OK.
- To install the Client on all computers in your organization you can:
Option Step Create a network share on the local computer and copy the Client-side extension package to the new network share 1. Click Create Share.
2. Select a local path to create the share for, and click OK.
3. Click Select Share.
4, Verify that the network path to the network share you created is correct, and click OK.
Select an existing network share and manually copy the msi-package to the existing network share 1. Click Select Share.
2. Browse to the location of the msi-package, and click OK.
Note: It is recommended that you use a Distributed File Share (DFS). If DFS is used with load balancing verify that the setup files are copied to all servers before proceeding.
To create the packages for x86 and x64 deployments in the selected GPO, click Add Settings.
You will need to complete the following configuration settings once you have upgraded Specops Deploy / App.
- Open the Specops Deploy Configuration tool.
- Select the Specops Deploy / App.
- In the navigation pane, select License.
- Click Import License.
- Browse to the location of the TXT file and click Open.