The content below is intended for IT administrators and can be used to help install and evaluate Specops Deploy / App version 6.0. For installation information for older versions of Specops Deploy / App.
Specops Deploy / App consists of the following components and does not require any additional servers or resources in your environment.
Specops Deploy Server: Creates the Service Connection Points and IFP folder structures. The Specops Deploy Server also processes real-time feedback from the clients, and incoming IFP messages and places them in the Feedback database.
Administration Tools: Used to configure the central aspect of the solution. The Administration Tools can be used to edit Specops Deploy / App settings directly in the GPMC or the Control Center.
Specops Deploy Client Side Extension: You can automatically configure an existing Group Policy Object with Software Installation settings to deploy the Client in your domain.
Note: The Client Side Extension is a required component for all Deploy Products.
Your organization’s environment must meet the following system requirements:
|Specops Deploy Server||- Windows Server 2008 or later
Note: This can be an existing server or a dedicated server. This server does not have to be a physical server. It can be a virtual server.
Windows 7, 8, and 10 are supported for testing purposes only. In a live installation a true server operating system must be used.
- SQL Server 2008 or later
|Administration Tools||- Active Directory and Users and Computers snap-in
- Group Policy Management Console (GPMC)
|Specops Deploy Client Side Extension||- Windows 7 or later
- .NET Framework 2.0 or later
During installation, Specops Deploy will launch the Setup Assistant. The Setup Assistant contains installation information for all products from the Specops Deploy suite including Specops Deploy / App, Specops Deploy / OS, and Specops Deploy / Endpoint Protection. You will only need to complete the installation steps for the product you plan on installing.
The Setup Assistant will help you install the following components for Specops Deploy / App:
- Specops Deploy Server
- Administration Tools
- Specops Deploy Client Side Extension
Before you begin verify that the account being used to run the Setup Assistant has permissions to create Child Objects in Active Directory.
- Download the Setup Assistant.
- Save and Run the Setup Assistant locally to a machine where you administer Group Policy
Note: By default the file is extracted to C:\temp\SpecopsDeploy_Setup_[VersionNumber]
- Double click SetupAssistant.exe to launch the Setup Assistant.
- To begin, click Start Installation in the Specops Setup Assistant dialog box.
The Specops uReset Enrollment Migration Tool can be used to migrate Specops Password Reset enrollment data, and policies. This allows users to continue using their existing security questions with Specops uReset.
Installing the Specops Deploy Server will install the Specops Deploy Database and the Specops Deploy app service on the local computer.
- In the main menu, select Specops Deploy Server Setup.
- Verify that you have fulfilled the prerequisites. If you do not meet the pre-requisites you may need to do the following:
- Verify that you are running a valid operating system.
- Verify that the account being used to run the Setup Assistant has local administrative permissions.
- Click Select User….
- Enter the Username and Password of the user account the service will run as, and click OK.
- All operations performed by the Specops Deploy Server component will be performed in the context of the user account selected here.
- If you are also installing Specops Deploy / OS, we do not recommend using the same service account.
- Click Select database… to select the SQL Server to install the database on.
- Identify the server(s) you want to install the database on, and click OK.
- Click Install.
Installing the Administration Tools will install the GPMC snap-in, the Control Center, and the Configuration Tool. You can use the GPMC snap-in and the Control Center to create software deployment settings in Group Policy Objects. You can use the Configuration Tool to add license information, and clean the database.
The Administration Tools should be installed on the computer that you want to administer the product from.
- In the main menu, select Administration tools.
- Click Install.
- In the Installation succeeded dialog box, click OK.
You can automatically configure an existing Group Policy Object with Software Installation settings to deploy the Client in your domain.
- In the main menu, select Deploy Specops Deploy Client Side Extension.
- Verify that the account being used to run the Setup Assistant has Active Directory permissions.
- To select the Group Policy Object that will be used to deploy the client, click Select GPO. You will be given the following options:
Option Step Create New GPO 1. Click Create New GPO.
2. Enter a new Group Policy Object name.
3. Select the location you want to link the Group Policy object to.
4. Click OK.
Option Step Select an existing GPO 1. Select an existing GPO from the list.
2. Select a link for the chosen GPO, and click OK.
- To install the Client on all computers in your organization you can:
Option Step Create a network share on the local computer and copy the Client-side extension package to the new network share 1. Click Create Share.
2. Select a local path to create the share for, and click OK.
3. Click Select share.
4. Verify that the network path to the network share you created is correct, and click OK.
Option Step Select an existing network share and manually copy the msi-package to the existing network share 1. Click Select Share
2. Browse to the location of the msi-package, and click OK.
Note: It is recommended that you use a Distributed File Share (DFS). If DFS is used with load balancing verify that the setup files are copied to all servers before proceeding.
- To create the packages for the x86 and x64 deployments in the selected GPO, click Add Settings.
Once you have installed Specops Deploy / App, you will need to enter your license key in the configuration tool:
- Open the Specops Deploy Configuration tool.
- Select the Specops Deploy / App
- In the navigation pane, select License.
- Click Import License.
- Browse to the location of the TXT file and click Open.