The content below is intended for IT administrators and will guide you through the process of installing Specops Password Notification.
Specops Password Notification Server: Detects users with passwords approaching expiration, and sends them notification emails.
The Specops Password Notification Server does not send password expiration notification emails to users with the following accounts settings:
- Account is disabled
- User must change password at next logon
- User cannot change password
- Password never expires
- Smart card is required for interactive logon
Specops Password Notification Administration Tools: The Administration Tools display the interface for configuring password expiration notifications, and enable the creation of Specops Password Notification settings in Group Policy Objects.
Your organization’s environment must meet the following system requirements:
- Windows Server 2008 or later
- Local administrator permissions on the computer running the Setup Assistant
Installing Specops Password Notification
During installation, Specops Password Notification will launch the Setup Assistant. The Setup Assistant will help you install the following components for Specops Password Policy:
- Administration Tools
- Download the Setup Assistant.
- Save and Run the Setup Assistant on your server.
Note: By default, the file is extracted to C:\temp\SpecopsPasswordNotification_Setup_[VersionNumber]
- Double click SpecopsPasswordNotification.Setup.exe to launch the Setup Assistant.
- To begin, click Start Installation in the Specops Setup Assistant dialog box, and Accept the End User License Agreement.
Installing the Server
The Specops Password Notification Server is implemented as a Windows Service application. It is a .NET application built on Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. During installation, the service is installed and configured to run as the selected service account.
- From the Setup Assistant, select Server.
- Verify that you have fulfilled the pre-requisites:
- Verify that the account being used to run the Setup Assistant has local administrative permissions.
- Verify that you are running a valid server operating system.
- Click Select user.
- Enter the Username and Password of the user account the service will run as, and click OK.
- Click Select… to identify the management level where the Active Directory permissions are created.
- Optionally, click Select DC to select the preferred domain controller for the policy lookup. If not selected, the Domain Controller closest to the Server will be used.
- Click Install.
Installing the Administration Tools
The Specops Password Notification Administration Tools will install the GPMC snap-in. You can use the GPMC snap-in to configure password notification setting in a Group Policy Object (GPO). The GPO can then be applied to your entire domain or a part of your domain.
The Administration Tools should be installed on the computer that you want to administer the product from.
- From the Setup Assistant, select Administration Tools.
- Click Install.
Import your license key
You will need to add your license key to the Setup Assistant.
- From the Setup Assistant, click Import License.
- Browse to the location of the TXT file, and click Open.